Home |  Calendar |  Site Map | 

Bucks Take Season Series with London to Stay Unbeaten
Open up a nine point lead over second place Rovers

London, ONT (Friday, June 29, 2012)-   The Michigan Bucks came to London on Friday and dominated FC London to keep their unbeaten streak alive in the 2012 Premier Development League (PDL) season.  The Bucks 2-1 win in London pushes the Bucks PDL leading record to 9-0-2 (29 pts) as the team prepares for their third consecutive road game on Sunday when they return to the Windy City to take on the Chicago Fire Premier.   The loss drops FC London to 4-3-4 (16 points) and keeps them in the third and final playoff spot for the time being.


The Bucks came out strong in the first half and dominated the match out shooting the home side 8-3 and forcing  London  goal keeper Reece Richardson into making several key saves, including a close range shot from Kenny Uzoigwe in the 13th minute.   It would only take the veteran a few more minutes to figure  Richardson  out as he scored his second goal of the season when he headed home a Tom Catalano corner kick from close range just four minutes later to put the Bucks up 1-0.


With the game seemingly in hand, FC London put together a five minute stretch early in the second half that had the Bucks defense on its heels.  The team relied on backstop Adam Grinwis, who turned in the Man of the Match performance with six highlight reel saves to keep the Bucks in the lead.    After making a diving stop in the 56th minute, Grinwis quickly jumped to his feet and sent a 70 yard punt down field to a streaking Catalano, who juked his defender and had only  Richardson  to beat.   The goal keeper got a late start coming off his line and decided to try and beat Catalano to the open ball and took down the Bucks striker at the top of the penalty area for a Michigan Bucks penalty kick.   Captain Stew Givens buried the spot kick to give the Bucks a comfortable 2-0 lead.


That lead would only hold up due to several more Grinwis saves, as he put on a clinic the last fifteen minutes and made three diving one handed stops that were destined for the back of the net.    His shutout was only ruined in the 95th minute on a penalty kick that was awarded as time expired.  Carl Haworth slotted home the PK to make the final score 2-1 and ruin what was nearly a perfect night for the  University  of  Michigan goal keeper.


Bucks head coach Gary Parsons was pleased with the result and ready to hit the road again.  “We played well in the first half and let them back into it in the second half.  They are a feisty team so we knew even a two goal lead wasn’t going to slow them down.  Adam Grinwis showed tonight why I believe he is destined for MLS when he finishes college.   This kid is not only a terrific athlete, but he reads the game extremely well back there.   He was fun to watch tonight.    We do need to brush up on our closing out of games, as I never like to see last minute goals conceded as we have the past couple of games.   But taking four of six points against these two playoff caliber teams on the road is not a bad result for us.  Now we have to finish the job in  Chicago  on Sunday and take a couple of days off for the holiday,” said the reining PDL coach of the year.


The Bucks head to  Chicago  on Sunday to take on the Fire Premier for the third and final time this season.  The Bucks defeated Chicago at home 1-0 and tied last Tuesday on the road on a late  Chicago  goal in the 88th minute.   The Fire are in desperate need of three points as they currently sit with 12 points, four behind London for the final  Great Lakes  division playoff spot.


The Bucks return home on Saturday, July 7 to take on the Cincinnati Kings at Ultimate Soccer Arenas (7:30 pm kick off).



  Copyright 2013 Michigan Bucks. All rights reserved.
  Copyright 2013 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.